Sunday, January 20, 2013

Book Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower



I'll admit I only read this book because the movie trailer looked so good, and my sister lent it to me.  I usually decide if enough people enjoy a certain book enough to turn it into a movie then it is probably worth a read.  At first when I picked it up I was frustrated by the style because it is all written as letters to an anonymous person.  I was also thrown-off because the main character, Charlie, is 14 yet his innocence and view on the events in his life made him seem a lot younger.  I doubt there are many 14 year-old boys who would have the thoughts and reactions that he does.  I think that is what made Charlie so special and the beautiful part of the book is that you get to discover why he is the way he is.  There is a moderate amount of adult material in this book, so I am unsure if it is an approved book to be taught in schools.  I hope it is because of the themes and messages of the book, which are beneficial for every age, but especially teenagers.  The messages from the book were the parts I loved and that made me extremely glad that I did read the book.  I can't wait for the movie to come out on DVD so I can check it out, hopefully it's as good!  Here are some of my favorite quotes from the book:

"You can't just sit there and put everybody's lives ahead of yours and think that counts as love."

"I didn't do things because I didn't want him to think different about me.  But the thing is, I wasn't being honest.  So, why would I care whether or not he loved me when he didn't really even know me?"

"So I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.  And maybe we'll never know most of them.  But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there."  



No comments:

Post a Comment